Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ephesians 3

Paul is self-conscious about his calling as an apostle. He's also clear about the content of that calling. It is about bring undeserving gentiles into full participation in the riches of Jesus (Eph. 3:8). The gospel equals the unfathomable riches of Christ. How do you adequately communicate something that is unfathomable?

God's plan was to create a group, a church, purchased by the blood of Jesus, who would reveal the wisdom of God to all spiritual realms (Eph. 3:10). I think I might have tried something else. The church seems a very imperfect and inadequate representation of the wisdom of God. . . or, perhaps I'm missing the main point.

The prayer is stunning. The request is based, not on the performance or even the prayers of the Christian, but on the riches of his glory! The bank account from which this prayer is drawn is limitless. So, I'll prayer this. "In proportion to the riches of your glory, God would you grant my friends. . .
  • to be strengthened in their inner being.
  • to have Christ dwell in their hearts by faith.
  • to be rooted and grounded in love.
  • to have power to comprehend the enormity of Your love."
God will do far beyond all I can ask or imagine. . . perhaps I normally aim too low!

No comments: