Friday, September 04, 2009

1 Corinthians 16

1 Corinthians 16:1-4 is an introduction to Christian giving. Have a plan. The church plan is corporate and involves each person. Giving is proportional. It anticipates a need. It is handled in a trustworthy way.

I love 1 Corinthians 16:13-14. It reminds me of the last words of Hugh Latimer as he was burned at the stake. Surely, Paul's vision of Christianity is robust and masculine. True Christianity is not for sissies.

I struggle with each of the items in the paragraph. Sin sneaks up on me -- I need to watch. I shrink from what is right -- I need to be courageous. I don't love like I should.

The relationships of Paul are more beautiful to me on this read-through than ever before. He is not an apostle by himself. His influence was measured by his relationships. What do my relationships tell about me?

No comments: