- The strength of the statements of God's foreknowledge, election, plan and purpose overwhelm a reader who wants to be in control or in the center of the universe. God's eternal purpose is out front.
- The goal of our salvation is repeated multiple times -- to the praise of His glory (Eph. 1:6, 12, 14).
- Christianity is a person. Four times "in whom" is repeated as the source of our blessings (Eph. 1:7, 11, 13).
- In Paul's prayer, God's power is stated as gloriously as possible, synonym upon synonym, and you still get the impression he's under-expressing it (Eph. 1:19-20).
- Jesus is exalted far above all competition!
Thursday, September 24, 2009
If the Bible were a photo album, this would be a spectacular sunrise. Every bit of beauty that is evident in an English translation is amplified in the Greek text. Every good idea in Christianity is present in this chapter. A few things seem noteworthy to me: