Friday, June 05, 2009

John 21

I love the way this wraps up the experience of the disciples. It is the same experience they had when they were called (Luke 5:3-8). I love that Nathaniel is mentioned again. I love that they count the fish! I love that at least two of Jesus' post-resurrection appearances involved food!

Peter dove into the water at John's recognition of Jesus, presumably to be near him. He wasn't grieved until Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" I think it finally dawned on him what Jesus was doing. "Do you love me more than these?" Was he talking about the fish? Immediately he went back to his old self, comparing himself with John.

Feeding his sheep is THE way to express love to Jesus. Lord, help me!

A great capstone to the book: The world could not contain the books.

No comments: