Three different Greek words are used for dispute, debate, and faction. It must be like rain in Oregon. You need a lot of words for it because it happens a lot.
How does the church make decision here about a difficult question?
- They heard from those with the concern.
- They heard from the apostle with the longest tenure in working with the problem (Peter).
- They heard from the most active apostle with the problem (Paul).
- They asked what the scriptures said (James).
- They rendered a principled opinion.