Monday, October 05, 2009

Colossians 1

So much. So much. My heart is full and overflows. More is here in this chapter than I can absorb. It is a blessing of the sweetest order to have Jesus be as central, exalted, supreme and glorious as he is portrayed in this chapter.

I need to pray the prayer in this chapter for myself and others more than I do: That you may be filled with the knowledge of his will. . . I want God to answer that prayer in everyone I know.

The prayer breaks out into thanksgiving for salvation which stems from the supremacy of Christ. The design of salvation and creation are both to highlight the greatness of Jesus. He is the actor and the object in both. He does the work and he receives the glory.

Colossians 1:21-23 gives a quick summary of the gospel. You were an enemy of God. Jesus reconciled you to God. Jesus presents you blameless on account of his own virtue. Simple. Amazing.

Because Jesus is so glorious and effective in his work, it follows that I will give my life to see people grow up into mature followers of Jesus (Colossians 1:28-29). This is a great expression of why I am in the ministry.

I love the view of Colossians 1:29. I labor by his energy. That's how good works that count for anything happen.

No comments: