Thursday, July 30, 2009

Romans 8:1-17

There is a new law: The law of the Spirit. The reason God's law doesn't work to control sin is that our flesh, our sinful nature, reacts to it in weakness. We are built to disobey it. Jesus fulfilled the requirements of the law and in so doing broke/condemned sin in his flesh. Jesus did what I couldn't do because of my inherent weakness.

What we "mind" or think about practically controls whether we walk according to the flesh or Spirit, whether we lose to sin or enjoy spiritual victory. I don't have the control I want over my sinful nature, but I can control what I spend time thinking about.

Two straight-up statements about human ability say volumes about our need for grace and demolish pride (Romans 8:7-8). If people object to humans being dead in trespasses and sin (Ephesians 2:1) as THE statement of inability, these verses seem plenty convincing.

The Spirit dwells in us giving us power to overcome and as a promise of our inheritance. Thank you, God, for your Spirit!

No comments: