- Be united with Christ and know it. (Rom. 6:1-10, especially 3,6,9).
- Consider (reason, this is the word we get logic from) yourself dead to sin (Rom. 6:11).
- Refuse to let sin reign (Rom. 6:12).
- Present yourself and your members to God to obey (Rom. 6:13, 15-17, 19).
- Remind yourself of grace (Rom. 6:14-15).
- Consider the nature of your slavery to sin. You do not need to reenlist (Rom. 6:16-20).
- Consider the end or final outcome of sin (Rom. 6:21-23). Romans 6:23 for all its use in gospel presentations, is written so we will be motivated not to sin and to appropriate God's gift.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Jesus Christ has given so much freedom. The point of this chapter is for us to stop sinning. While more work can be done to distill a strategy to fight sin, here are a few key elements to winning over sin: