Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Romans 7:1-6

I stopped short this morning because I am so struck by the centrality of my union with Christ. I cannot escape the tyranny of the law, or the power of sin apart from Him.

For instance, "You died to the law through the body of Christ (Rom. 7:4)," to be married to another. How does that happen? I didn't feel the dying. I didn't see it nor do I understand it, but it is true of me. In Christ, because I died with Him, my relationship to the law has changed. I'm now free!

This is not antinomianism. I'm not throwing off the law for no reason. I'm free to live for Christ. Would I be less godly for Christ's sake? I don't think so. It isn't anti-law, it is pro-Christ. This will have radical, but not wild results.

Romans 6 comes from this same idea. I'm united with Christ. The first few verses about baptism establish that union with Christ changes my relationship with sin, too. My relationship with sin and with the law are different because of Christ.

No comments: