Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Luke 4

The Spirit is doing a lot of leading. He led Jesus to the wilderness, "by the power of the Spirit." I need the Spirit more than I realize.

Luke speaks of the temptation lasting 40 days, yet only records three! The first two are temptations to "prove yourself." He continued to face those even while hanging on the cross. The third one has the hiss of the serpent, "Worship me and I'll give you glory and authority." It is the promise of what Jesus left behind in Philippians 2. The devil left him, literally, "for now."

Jesus got a stiff reaction when he mentioned the widow of Zarephath and Naaman. It is hard to overestimate the anti-gentile sentiment of Jesus' day. Their reaction, though, seems out of proportion to the offense. Which is a good indication more is going on that meets the eye.

I wonder what it would have been like to go home to your podunk Judean town and preach the kingdom of heaven! Wow.

No comments: