Saturday, January 03, 2009

Getting Started with Bible Reading

My plan this year is to read through the New Testament again. I hope to recruit as many people to join me as will be helped by the experience. Why would we read through the New Testament and use this blog as a tool? Here are a few reasons:
  • The Bible was meant to be read in a community. A blog is a way of developing a community and reading at home at the same time! I wonder if God had this in mind . . . Comments will be an easy way for everyone to contribute to the discussion.
  • The pace should be easy enough. There are 260 chapters and still 360 more days in the year. A chapter a day will more than cover the New Testament with lots of grace for missing. It will take only 22 verses per day to read through the whole thing. More New Testament stats are here.
  • There is no substitute for reading the Bible. God promises great things to those who read, meditate on and obey His word. No promises are sweeter than Psalm 1:2.
I hope you will join me for this journey.

No comments: