Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Matthew 24:29-51

These verses form a refrain from a song of the 60's or 70's, "I wish we'd all been ready." The assumption of that song was that this could happen any moment, but the thrust of this passage (Matt. 24:32-35)is that it will happen in their generation.

Jesus connects the certainty of these things with the truthfulness of His word. His word is true. . .therefore they can count on these things happening in their generation.

The celestial cataclysm is the piece of this chapter that makes many think that these events are still to happen and make it hard to understand in the past tense.

1 comment:

Tiff said...

I'm still thinking about this chapter (and still singing that "all been ready" song, thanks a lot!!!). I struggle with Jesus' comment, v34 "I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."
How should I interpret that since it seems like his prediction didn't come true?