Jesus is, however, a different kind of priest, a superior one. He is superior in several respects:
- He does not require a tribal genealogy.
- He is of the order of Melchizedek, who is greater than Abraham and therefore Levi, because Abraham paid him a tithe (Heb. 7:4-10).
- Jesus brings a greater hope (Heb. 7:19).
- He does not die, but remains eternally a priest. (Heb. 7:23). He will never need to be replaced.
- He is able to save completely those who come to God (Heb. 7:25).
- He does not sin. Therefore he doesn't need to offer sacrifices for himself before he sacrifices for people (Heb. 7:27).